We will miss you Kelly! Family says "see you soon".


Hello family and friends,

We both hope this finds you happy and well. Doug and I are catching up on the Olympics right now. I need to be honest when I say that I am on a little bit of Olympic overload, so I, Beth, am writing to all of you. This update is long overdue. I meant to write last Monday. Last Saturday and Sunday (Aug 16-17), we spent a wonderful weekend with Doug's side of the family. The trip was so fun. While it had to be short, the weekend was packed with memorable moments. We stayed at the Avila Hot Springs Campground. It was an intimate campground. The purpose of this weekend was not only to have fun with the family, but to also bid Kelly a warm and friendly aloha, before her big move to Iowa. Kelly, Doug's sister, received a basketball scholarship to play for an NAIA school in Iowa (I am refraining from listing the school, just in case there is some psycho out there who wants to hunt her down). I don't like to say that we said "goodbye" to Kelly, because she will be back. Kelly, we are so proud of you. We know that you will be nothing but successful in your newest adventure. Luckily, we are going to be able to see her in action in San Diego this coming December. Until then, we will have to catch the highlights on ESPN.

The weekend started very early in the morning. Jeff arrive at our house at 5am. We left the house soon after. Our road trip was nice, and pretty short. We arrived at the campsite around 9:30. The Haney's beat us there by about a minute. We saw everyone, Grandma and Grandpa Wright, The Haneys, the Calamia's, and my wonderful new family (Gayle, Rich, and Kelly). We spent half the morning camping, and then headed for Pismo Beach. The Pismo Beach area is absolutely gorgeous. I can see why my mom wants to live there. We met up with the rest of Doug's family. Most of the Wright side of the family was present. I am sure Kelly will never forget this weekend. As the newbie of the family, a lot was put into perspective for me in such a short amount of time. I have been loved, accepted, and welcomed by this family for so long. It was just awesome to be there not as Doug's girlfriend, or fiance, but as his wife! As I sat there, just chilling with the family, I was able to step outside myself and see myself as family. It is a very awesome, and somewhat indescribable feeling. I know a lot of people probably won't experience this. I can only wish this for my own baby sister, Kelly, and Jeff one day (and for all of you still waiting to experience it). I am truly blessed to have such great in-laws.

As we were in the midst of breath-taking Pismo, we cruised along a pier. There were certainly some wonderful picture moments. My favorite was when Doug braved the aggressive seals/sea lions for some pictures. After the adventures on the pier, we headed to downtown Pismo, and enjoyed Mo's BBQ. Some of the family got some clam chowder. The day was cool, the city bustled ever so slightly, and the family was in good spirits. It truly was such a memorable, and essentially perfect. We had no worries, and good company. To top this all off, Rich treated us to my favorite treat- ICE CREAM. If you look at the picture immediately to the right, you can see a family picture. Looking at this picture has really been a moment of pride and joy for me. It's one of those moments that you realize you are permanent in a family. :) Doug's family took a picture in front of this same ice cream shop years ago. This time his wife got to be in the picture. :) I love it. Even though a person can spend most of their life away from the LOVE OF THEIR LIFE, it doesn't matter the time apart, because the time together truly does breath new life, excitement, and joy. I am proud to be married to Doug. I am proud to be permanent in his family. Wow..... God is good. :)

When we got back from Pismo, a lot of us headed to the mineral pool. Our campground was located on a natural hot spring. Even after a wash, my swimsuit still has a bit of the sulfer smell lingering. The evening proved to be relaxing, and a bit nostalgic. Doug built the biggest fire we had seen in a long time. The family sat around the area, some just chatting, others playing chess. Dusk fell as quickly as the dawn came. Stomachs growled, and we headed all of a couple hundred feet away to Mama's Meatballs. The campground had an uncovered treasure trove- a great Italian restaurant. The entire family headed down for a night of wonderful food, wine, and toasts to Kelly. On the way down, all of the girls took a picture with their beaded flower rings (from downtown Pismo). This classic shot will probably be repeated nearly a year from now as all if these ladies will be heading to Vegas to celebrate Kelly's big 21 and Meg's bday! Yet again, another moment where I experienced BEING a part of the family. I hope you all enjoy the picture.

Dinner was incredibly sweet. We fit all 17 of us on a long table. The family shared tears, toasts, and what Rich would call "Roasts." Really though, there were few roasts, because Kelly is just that loved.

It is an awesome reality to know that your family is there for you. Not all people have the comforting knowledge. I know that Kelly walk away from the family, just like Jeff & Doug did, because she knows she will walk back successful, a different woman, independent, but still incredibly loved by her family. I am happy to say that I have seen a foreshadowing of it with my own family. Julia went away five years ago now. She has blossomed immensely, and there will never be a moment where my parent, (Doug,) or myself won't love her every bit as much as the moment she was born. So as it is often hardest to let go of the baby, it is equally as easy to see them grow.

I know this entry has been super long. If you haven't had the change to visit the Pismo Beach area, it is a must sea! The town has really built itself up, so the next time I'd like to go is during off-season (and hopefully Doug and I can go with my mom too :)). Back to the Olympics. The "Redeem Team" is currently taking a beating on Argentina. Go USA!

God's richest blessings to you all.

With love and excitement,
Doug and Beth <><

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home